Monday, October 28, 2013

Procrastination

I know everyone has procrastinated at least once. It starts with something that you really don't want to do. You say to yourself "I don't want to do this, so I'll find something more interesting to do." This causes your brain to find the most obscure and stupid things entertaining. I've run into procrastination more times than not. I know I am a procrastinator, and I know I should change my ways, but the thing is, it's an extremely hard habit to break.
 My procrastinating ways have built up over years and years of bad habits. Some people may call this laziness, and say that these procrastinators have no time management and have a poor set of priorities. This may be true for some, but for my other fellow procrastinators, it's a huge generalization that isn't quite true.
Personally, I hate generalizations. I think the main reason is because I feel as though often I am an exception. Maybe it's because I want to feel special and I don't want to be lumped into a big group of people. Or maybe I want to stand out and be different. Maybe it's even because I know everyone is unique, and even if people share some qualities, they may all have a different degree of that quality. Either way, generalization suck, and I don't like them. 
Sometimes procrastination can be a good thing. Often times, I will do something that I was procrastinating just to avoid and procrastinate something else. Unfortunately, that's the only positive thing I can think of about procrastination. A lot of times, people will say, just do your work little by little, and then you won't have as much to do in the end. This is not too easy. When I see anything, I see a lot of work, no matter how much work there actually is. Whether it's a little thing like a small homework assignment, or a big project like cleaning and vacuuming my car. I see it as the same amount of work and effort, which is a lot. And the little work seems huge when in reality it's not that bad.
Now, you may be thinking to yourself, "but don't you realize that once you do them, they take less work and so you should just get them out of the way in the first place?" That would be nice, now wouldn't it. I'm sure it would be fantastic to realize that it's not that much of a workload. But, unfortunately, my brain doesn't function that way. I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this.
Sometimes, I get bursts of energy and motivation to actually do work. And honestly, it feels great when I accomplish tasks. Yet, I'm always procrastinating. It doesn't make sense because if it feels good to accomplish something, wouldn't I want to accomplish more things and thus get more work done and not procrastinate? The answer is yes, that's how it should work, but unfortunately that's not how it actually works. The whole thing puzzles me.
On that note, I am actually procrastinating right now, as I need to write a rough draft for a final paper that's do tomorrow. So goodbye, and get some work done! (don't say you have none, because there's always more work to be done)

No comments:

Post a Comment